Comments
A very well written story.
10/11/2009 10:54 PM

An amazing story for survival at sea. Being from a tiny atoll in the Pacific (Atafu) one is always in awe of the ocean as it sustains our livelihoods in many ways, but we also understand the danger it poses and how it can easily be a graveyard as on land. I applaud the courage of the men and their struggle for survival and the positive changes and experiences they learned. Prayers go out to Bob Clarke's family who lost a great and wonderful family member. God bless
Posted by: Tulano Toloa
14/10/2009 05:48 PM

Bob Clarke was a wonderful man and a even more wonerful granfather. April Clarke loved her grandaddy so much, She misses him every day R.I.P. Bob Clarke
Jodie Thompson

Jodie Thompson
Posted by: Jodie
15/09/2009 01:57 AM

Overloading didn't seem to be the problem. A similar new Glacier Bay model is rated for 12. Super Suds should have held seven people and gear safely. A rule of thumb check gives 26x8/15=13.8 = 13 people.

Speed and weight distribution can make a big difference. Ideally (but not human nature), as conditions deteriorated, people would have put on life vests and foulies, distributed weight low, and steered around or slowed for larger waves. The Gulf Stream can get nasty surprisingly fast.
Posted by: Pat
30/08/2009 08:59 PM

THIS STORY WAS AMAZING. THROUGHOUT IT CAUSED MY HEART TO HOPE, CAUSED TEARS TO FORM AND IN THE END CAUSED ME TO FEEL AS IF I WERE THERE AS PART OF THE RESCUE, ELATED EXCEPT FOR THE SADNESS OF THE CAPTAIN'S PASSING. I EVEN FELT THAT SENSE OF, "WAS THERE ANYTHING THAT COULD HAVE BEEN DONE TO SAVE HIM TOO?" WOW!!
Posted by: RONDA BRITTON
27/08/2009 04:38 AM

Excellent piece of storytelling. My heart goes out to the Clarke family and friends.

As to Rogue waves and the persistent belief that they do not exist
Posted by: Michael
21/08/2009 02:27 PM

One rouge wave? How about one overloaded boat? I know this was an accident and the deaths were a huge tradegy , but the lack of comment about the load on and capacity of the boat in question is an almost equal tradegy. USCG rates boats based on a 150 lb person. These seven and their gear added up to way too many hypothetical folks in a real hurry, adding fuel to the mix of weather, fatigue and bad fortune.
Posted by: Wade A Griffith
09/08/2009 11:01 PM

Bob Clarke was a loving family man and a great friend to all. We were married for 26 years and he was the love of my life. His love for the ocean was unsurmountable. He would rather teach someone to fish than catch a fish himself, especially children. His motto was take a kid fishing. His love for me and mine for him will always remain in my heart.

I would like to thank John Falk for giving me a better understanding of what happened that day.

with kindest regards, Martha Clarke
Posted by: Martha Clarke
05/08/2009 01:15 PM

Rupert is my home town even tough I live near Charleston WV. I've heard some of the specifics of this event from my close friend "White Owl", but this article's finite details present a mind picture of the real life drama. My condolences to the Captain's family and 3 cheers and hip-hip-horay for the Greenbrier County boys...welcome home!! Stick with the local trout fishing..from now on...ok fellas?
Posted by: Danny Franco
04/08/2009 03:28 PM

It's hard to explain how great a man Bob Clarke was and what a champion of the ocean he was. To him it was a place to invite people to, to learn from and respect as well as a great place for fathers to impart lessons to sons. This weekend the "Bobby Clarke Memorial Reel Kids Reel Fun" tournament, which he helped to create, happened this past weekend with 186 kids participating. The largest turnout they have had so far.
Posted by: Scott Kingsley
03/08/2009 05:45 PM

These men are all heroes, my cousin Wayne Smith will forever be my hero. No one knows how he suffered the loss of his long time friend Bob Clark, be we do and it is a loss we can never make up for. Wayne was in the hospital days after the others were released, it was there that I saw him for the first time after the accident, to walk in and see him alive was one of the greatest moments of my life, he was alive, we had him back, but I can assure you that part of him died along with Bob.
Posted by: Sherrie Dewitt