Comments
The above listed skills are without a doubt very helpful, but they forgot to mention the ones that really help to survive from a catastrophe. In order for an individual to survive, he/she must have physical endurance and physical resilience first, then mental endurance and mental resilience second.
Posted by: ignacio sanabria
03/09/2009 11:29 AM

Breath taking beautiful pictures of nature, Simply Beautiful
Posted by: Dilip Sinroja
26/03/2009 12:40 PM

What is the criteria for the best place to live? I'm looking for a place to live with the following requirements:
My bike is my car
I can swim year round
There is public transportation
Vegetarian isn't a foreign word
There is an art/poetry scene
Locals are friendly-There are single people in there mid 40's.Green is normal.
I can get a job as as an office administrator and only work 4 days a week and still survive.
Any suggestions?
Posted by: Contessa Davis
22/03/2009 04:31 PM

Charleston is an Historical masterpiece with enough friendly people to make anyone happy! Some of the best eating this side of New York. One of America's strongest real estate markets
Posted by: David V. Leonard
11/03/2009 12:01 PM

City of Leeds,then York Then Harrogate,Then Exeter is the quality of life is excellent
Posted by: Tamas Kaszonyi
10/12/2008 10:56 AM

I live in Salisbury, MD and while I love this city for it's closeness to DC, NY, Philly and other cities and the smalltown appeal, I must say if you had done your homework you would know about the problems in our city government and the many sewage spills in the Wicomico River which inturn spills into the Chesapeake Bay Waterway for starters. I would not have put Salisbury, MD in the top 50 places to live. That being said, I still love the Delmarva Peninsula and it's many treasures.
Posted by: Lisa
13/10/2008 11:12 AM

I'm kind of suprised that you had Red Lodge, MT on the list instead of Bozeman, MT. Oh well, I kinda like being undiscovered.
Posted by: Matt McComas
09/10/2008 07:46 PM

I thought Reno Nevada, is located at the base of the eastern Sierra, not the Rockies. Therefore should Reno not be listed under the Rockies but the West? Thanks. Mark
Posted by: Mark Ruggiero
09/10/2008 11:18 AM

Come to the United Kingdom ! West Yorkshire Leeds is the Best Place to live. Second Is York and third is Hexam, then Bath, then Ilkley, Then Szeged Hungasry Csongrad Varmegye. Then Roma then Parius Then Moscow Then Wienna then London.
Posted by: Tamas Kaszonyi
09/10/2008 10:35 AM

In MD the best outdoorsy college town away from the B-W megapolis is not flat, hot, sticky, conservative Salisbury where any pleasure of century rides is tempered by mosquitos and aromatic poultry farms. Instead come out west to cool mountain climes of Frostburg whose 2,000' elevation offers true 4 season fun: cycling on the Great Allegheny Passage, hiking, both flat water
Posted by: Bill Cooke
06/10/2008 07:17 PM

hi ,are these the best places to live in America or is that the Americans think that the world and America are synonymous....
Posted by: priya
05/10/2008 05:32 AM

why are you so focused on the usa? our planet is enormous and there are other places than the usa,my opinion is that you or your editors can not think objectively and that makes me dissapointed . You always glorify the usa like it is the center of the universe,but we all know that it's not so!
People who read and watch ngc don't appreciate that,we would love it if you would concentrate on other parts of the world besides yourself
Posted by: Ivana
04/10/2008 05:41 PM

04/10/2008 05:40 PM

This is not a comment for the blog--I had a conversation w/the online ed about Spokane (Mary Ann?) who said she's interested in story ideas from E Wa, ID, and BC. Silly me, I neglected to get email address. Plz contact me so I can pitch! Many tks.
Posted by: linda hagen miller
03/10/2008 06:47 PM

We are so excited to see Plymouth, NH on the list! Here at Owl's Nest Resort
Posted by: Kelly Wieser
02/10/2008 10:25 PM

I think it is time that americans understood that they are not the centre of the world and prove to the rest of us that they are not as brainwashed as they want them to be!!!
Posted by: Calliope Georgousi
02/10/2008 07:33 PM

Posted by: Calliope Georgousi
02/10/2008 07:27 PM

Nowhere in USA would be part of my 50 favourate places to live list!
Posted by: pippa
02/10/2008 05:02 PM

Would it be possible for you to feature 50 best places to live OUTSIDE the U.S.A.
Posted by: Eamonn Connolly
02/10/2008 04:58 PM

i have found the best place in the world to live is Santa Maria, California, a town on the Central Coast with a coastal climate, yet has an agricultural area, Good shopping, health facilities, educational opportunities, and close to Santa Barbara and other areas that have more cultural things too. You really should check it out. It is a sleeper. You will be surprised.
Posted by: Lee Naumcheff
02/10/2008 04:52 PM

Hey, what happened to the rest of the world?!?
Posted by: A
02/10/2008 02:52 PM

I like Fruit Jar, Alabama real good.
Posted by: Mom
02/10/2008 02:48 PM

Disappointing... The US is not the only country in the world!
Posted by: Maria
02/10/2008 01:53 PM

There IS a world outside of the USA you know! LOL.
Posted by: Manie Mulder
02/10/2008 11:37 AM

I thought last years list was better. I like it when little known spots show up. It seems that the same cities always end up on "best" lists. Also, who can really afford to move to 70% of these places? Add in the taxes and the move isn't worth it. For instance, the college towns. The State College area has become completely unaffordable, population has ballooned, Democrats are hiking taxes, and the sprawl is destroying the natural countryside.
Posted by: d
02/10/2008 09:54 AM

Lenoir, NC is a great place to have a vacation home, expand a business, raise a family, or retire. I have a second home there and I'm always looking for ways to invest in this top-notch community. Definetly check it out!
Posted by: Landon
01/10/2008 08:36 PM

Silver City, New Mexico is a wonderful place. It is quite diverse for such a small town. The surrounding area is proof that God exists! We are moving there from Northern Illinois and look forward to a higher quality of life. Lots of culture.....
Posted by: Connie
22/09/2008 11:27 AM

Peoria, Illinois! What a joke! Peoria is a declining blue collar manufacturing town with huge crime, gang, and slum problems. One area of the town along the riverfront has been polished up a bit, but the rest of the city is HORRIBLE! Even the riverfront area has crime and abandoned buildings. The only bright spot about this place is the new Interstate 74 that passes through the middle of the city. A real work of art. Don't be fooled by this review. Something is very fishy about this selection.$$
Posted by: Kevin
20/09/2008 09:02 PM

Hi I was recently in Arcata Calf.
I wouldn't put this one on the list.
Very Poor and not going anywhere.
Posted by: sharon
20/09/2008 06:45 AM

Lander, Wyoming? Are you kidding? Yeah it's cool if you don't mind lots of Republicans, a total lack of racial/ethnic diversity (except for the segregated folks on the nearby reservation), and you like seeing dead animals in the backs of pickup trucks. The place looks great on those NOLS brochures, but trust me: it is a broke down, redneck town.
Posted by: Lived There for 8 Years
17/09/2008 06:18 PM

We went on a roving camping trip 7 yrs ago and Pagosa Springs was one of the areas we stopped at, next thing I knew, we bought property there because we knew there was something special about this place, now Thanks to National Geographic, all our thoughts are confirmed. Pagosa is special.
Posted by: Matt
13/09/2008 05:25 PM

I live in Milwaukee and LOVE it. It is a highly underrated city. I struggle to make travel plans during the summer months because there is so much going on in Milwaukee.
Posted by: Angela Q
12/09/2008 02:53 PM

We have lived in Avalon for 22 years. It is gorgeous in the Spring, Summer and Fall...and although the winter is at half mast, there is a certain beauty even on a chilly January day. Great Town!
Posted by: avalon lover
11/09/2008 09:40 AM

My wife and I moved to Hood River 20 years ago for the windsurfing, nearly year-around skiing, breathtaking views and small community atmosphere in which to raise our children. Now, there is so much more - cycling, kayaking, year-around golf and one of the country's most diverse wine regions. The same topographic and climatic conditions that create the adventure terrain and thermal winds in the summer create great growing conditions...an adventure in wine tasting! You gotta see this place!
Posted by: Steve Tessmer
10/09/2008 10:18 AM

I agree that Pagosa Springs is a great place to live. The people are very friendly, There are a lot of biking and hicking trails. The skiing is great at Wolfcreek and it is close to a big town in Durango. A hospital was recently opened. The climate is great. We love it.
Posted by: Ray Quijano
Website: http://Juno
08/09/2008 06:39 PM

Great to see Pagosa Springs on the list. We left the rat race of Denver a few years ago and have never looked back. Pagosa is located in one of the most beautiful areas of Colorado, the San Juan mountains. Skiing is great, people are great, and housing is relatively affordable for a Colorado town.
Posted by: Pagosa Resident
07/09/2008 04:29 PM

where is the story on Brattleboro Vermont please fix the site and email me the story
Posted by: Lynn Barrett
06/09/2008 02:45 PM

Silver City is great, and the surrounding area even nicer! Lots of hiking, camping and incredibly dark skies.
Posted by: Red
04/09/2008 02:16 PM

Pagosa Springs is a good selection -- Wolf Creek Ski Area is there and had a ton of snow last year. Many other places in Colorado are worthy of consideration, such as the Arapahoe Basin in Keystone and Copper Mountain. These locations aren't as mainstream as Vail or Aspen and should be more worthy of the "adventure" label.
Posted by: Aaron
03/09/2008 10:53 PM

Klamath Falls is the armpit of Oregon. Its residents are redneck and not too bright. The only people that enjoy living there are those that have never lived anywhere else (which makes up a huge chunk of the residents).
Posted by: (thankfully) previous KFalls resident
03/09/2008 08:37 PM

Coos Bay, OR has been impacted by far too many Californians moving up and too much intense building. Also, the town is trying to put a Natural Gas Pipeline under the bay (LNG) - that will be a disaster for the town.
Posted by: JBK
03/09/2008 04:42 AM

Red Lodge, MT is a dump, do not come here or even visit. Don't tell your friends about it either. Stay AWAY!!

- Red Lodge resident, who likes it the way it is.
Posted by: Bob
02/09/2008 09:09 AM

I agree with Jones about Lihua - as a matter of fact, all of Hawaii. It's distressing that so many boomers are retiring there - more building, straining water supplies, and yes, adding pollution to the beaches and ocean.
Posted by: DLee
02/09/2008 01:10 AM

I can't believe you forgot abou Portland, Oregon. Whereas it is great to see other cities in Oregon mentioned - you gotta be kidding me, Portland is the hub for all great outdoor adventures - and great beer too!
Posted by: Jacoby
01/09/2008 10:20 PM

Seattle isn't Washington's only great outdoor town. Spokane has 5 ski resorts w/n a 2-hour drive, dozens of lakes, numerous bike trails, a river running through it, sunny summers and snowy winters.
Posted by: linda hagen miller
01/09/2008 01:10 PM

Absolute nonsense. Go have a glass of wine and relax. These lists are make-work jobs for junior reporters. I hope they at least demand to visit the places they write about. Otherwise a waste of human energy.
Posted by: Mark
30/08/2008 08:01 PM

You guys make these lists and then 100,000 yuppy wanna-be-extremo suburbanites move there and then that place is no longer a desirable place to live. I hope you are proud of yourselves for ruining once wonderful towns!
Posted by: Jones
29/08/2008 09:20 AM

Garden Grove,California.Beauitful weather all year around.25 minutes from S.C beaches..Got Money!
Posted by: M. Di Carlo
27/08/2008 02:58 PM

It is great to see Klamath Falls on the list. Those of us who reside here have always known it to be a wonderful place to live. You can have fun outdoors anytime of year and everything is just a short drive away. We truly are a hidden gem!!! Come visit and you will see!!!!!!!
Posted by: Courtney Forney
26/08/2008 05:25 PM

I live in the Northwest and like it out here, I like to travel to places in the west.
Posted by: Perry Bulkley
26/08/2008 01:48 PM

The Houston area has adventures including Brazos Bend State Park, the Trinity River delta area, canoeing on Lake Charlotte. Encounters with gators, turtles, alligator gar, coons, possums, armadillos, and wildlife too numerous to mention are unique in that one can observe them in their natural habitat. How about a swamp land adventure?
Posted by: Larry L. Artz
25/08/2008 03:28 PM

Joshua Tree, CA?? Huh? I suggest you try Huntington Beach, CA. Perfect weather all year, home town feel, great restaurants and shopping, easy access to just abou everything.
Posted by: Bernie Torbik
25/08/2008 01:59 PM

You missed all of Alabama...we have 20% of the water in the US with Chaba river trails to the Gulf Coast. Have a crater in WEtumpka Alabama and international white water competition as a result of that prehistoric event. Have Hiking trails all over this state that is 2/3rds forested. Have National Forests, caves, beaches, birding trails...in short Everything you've listed about these other places, we have in The Natural State...ALABAMA
Posted by: Mike Hagen
25/08/2008 06:56 AM

In Coos Bay, Oregon, you must also include hiking, fishing and miles and miles of dunes. People come to enjoy the dunes from all over the United States and Canada.
Posted by: Jan
24/08/2008 05:49 PM

In the Black Hills of South Dakota: Mt. Rushmore - Crazy Horse - Wild Horse Sanctuary - caves
Posted by: Mollie
24/08/2008 03:54 PM

Great list, Hood River Rocks, great restaurants, incredible scenery, freshest of fruits,seafood, berries and vegetables. Try the "fruit loop" drive around Mt. Hood it is stunning, and you're only an hour and a half from PDX. Seattle is a fun city but the traffic is horrible.
Posted by: Kurt Winner
20/08/2008 07:10 PM

After living in Leavenworth, WA for the last 12 years, I can attest to the opportunities to play in mountains, lakes, hills, etc. Truly a haven for the outdoor enthusiast, though the tourism in the city can make driving a little annoying :)
Posted by: Remi Qaine
20/08/2008 02:04 PM

WORST LIST EVER

SERIOUSLY? MALIBU!?
Posted by: aitch dove
20/08/2008 01:24 PM

Regarding the numbering, we did that to make the list more readable. We are definitely not saying the West is better than the East! We could certainly remove the numbers, if there's confusion. Thanks for your comment. The Editors
Posted by: Mary Anne Potts
20/08/2008 08:36 AM

Awesome list.
Even though there is a disclaimer on the first page (list is in no particular order) it's confusing to see an ordered list, especially coming from a link to subsequent pages. It looks as if you are saying "West is the best, then Rockies towns..." Or maybe that's your intention?
20/08/2008 06:29 AM

I'm a kiwi and live in ogden's little mexico ghetto. I can be on the trails in ten minutes on my bike, or wake boarding in 20 minutes up the canyon.
19/08/2008 07:53 PM

I live in Seattle and assure you nothing is happening here. It's really dreary and there are only 3 months of the year where people go out to bars and go camping. You'll have more adventure going to the liquor store than living in Seattle.
Posted by: Chad Asmussen
19/08/2008 07:47 PM

I swear Bellingham is suppose to be on every "good place to live' list.

(lives there)
Posted by: Josh
19/08/2008 06:07 PM

WOOOOOOO SEATTLE! BooYAH!
Posted by: Nikki
19/08/2008 05:39 PM

Ogden is the armpit of Utah. Gang and poverty infested. There is a dog food factory downtown....did they visit these places?
Posted by: Jessica Warbington
19/08/2008 05:31 PM

Out of all the places in Utah they picked Ogden. Why on earth would they pick Ogden. Moab, Bryce, and Brianhead. They all have so much more to offer.
19/08/2008 05:25 PM

Apparently these towns (save a few like Lander) are named for their meth addictions.
Posted by: Yahoo Jones
19/08/2008 04:57 PM

Bellingham is beautiful, i keep trying to convince my Texas native husband to move us up there, I miss Washington! Thank you for the boost!
Posted by: anonymous
19/08/2008 04:17 PM

I didn't see Wala Wala Washington on the list. Has Bugs been lying to me this whole time?
Posted by: Duane
19/08/2008 03:35 PM

As a Texas native...I strongly disagree with San Antonio...that's the only city I've been to in the state that I didn't like.

Austin is a much better city for the "live, work, and play" list. Plenty to do in the city itself that will cater to people of all preferences. Lots of interesting places to drive to within ~1 hour away.
Posted by: Adam
19/08/2008 03:34 PM

Lenoir? C'mon. Why not Asheville, or Greenville, SC? Lenoir has a Google hub
Posted by: Kwami Ishmael
19/08/2008 03:30 PM

Denver was left out, because it is an evil city. Not dog friendly at all. I am happy too see Chattanooga on it. Has every outdoor activity, except surfing, and snow-skiing. Great hiking mountain biking, and water sports(wake board, water ski, and white-water).
19/08/2008 03:02 PM

Oh, I'm amazed Utah didn't get any love!
Posted by: MC
19/08/2008 02:32 PM

Who makes these lists? They are just awful, what about Burlington,VT plenty of stuff to do from snowboarding/skiing, water activities on lake champlain, hiking the green mountains, swimming in any of the million swimming holes, golf, mountain biking... the list is endless.
Posted by: Chris
19/08/2008 02:07 PM

Klamath Falls is a wonderful hidden gem that the deeper you dig, the more rewards you get. I will definitely add this article to my website to underscore some of the fantastic reasons we are such a wonderful community to live and play in!
Posted by: Kim Swagert
18/08/2008 02:51 PM

Hood River Oregon is a four season paradise. Sportsmen, foodies, there is something for everyone
16/08/2008 11:59 PM

You know it baby - Reno, Nevada. All you wanted and more.Truckee River, Sierra Mountains, Lake Tahoe, bike trails galore. Never had a better vacation, so I moved here and made it my life. The summer has big events all season long and skiing is 25 minutes away!
Posted by: Amelia Calvert
15/08/2008 06:19 PM

Coos Bay. More than surfing
15/08/2008 03:03 AM

Kauai is one of the the most beautiful spots on the planet, surfing, swimming, boating, hiking, biking and the best weather anywhere. Thank you NGA
Posted by: Michael Keppel
14/08/2008 06:22 PM

Lihue, Kauai has electricity rates 4 times the mainland at 45 to 49 cents per kW hour. We also have widely used septic tank systems that are leaking into beaches. Mainlanders would do well to think twice before moving here.
Posted by: John Smith
14/08/2008 02:12 PM

Peoria Illinois is one of the best places to mtn bikein the US. A big thanks to PAMBA for all your hard work and keeping mtn biking alive in the midwest.
Posted by: Jim G.
13/08/2008 11:26 PM

Yea Coos Bay Oregon! We love it here! So many outdoor activites to do! Awesome! May favorte is Gold and Silver Falls!
Posted by: Adeline Fisher
13/08/2008 01:43 PM

Bellingham. Saltwater shores, freshwater lakes, mountain to the east. It's like a magnet, you come here and want to stay.
Posted by: B Hershey
13/08/2008 11:05 AM

Congratulations ! You have "found" Pagosa Springs. An amazing place to live in the Rockies. A hidden gem. All the outdoors you will ever need and the famous hot springs where you can relax after a hard day's play. Beautiful climate too. We discovered it 5 years ago and love it !
Posted by: Chris Harwood
13/08/2008 10:27 AM

I have been to many of these 50 places and agree that they are all excellent places to live and play.
I personally would pick Saranac Lake, NY, as nearest the top of the list, for being the most remotely located, surrounded by pristine wilderness and yet, only hours from every NorthEast City in America and Southeastern Canada.
Posted by: Donna D.
12/08/2008 12:37 PM

Ditto on Reno ... stats: 45 minutes to Lake Tahoe (18 ski resorts), a whitewater kayak park in downtown, 300 days of sunshine a year, a great cycling community. Oh, and let's not forget: No state income text.
I've lived in some great communities, but finally found my home in Reno.
Posted by: Jim Scripps
12/08/2008 11:30 AM

Ahhh, finally! Reno getting some respect for more than just a place to lose your shirt! I wrote a letter to the editor a while back when Adventure published one of these "where to live" lists and left Reno out. It looks like someone was listening! Nice work!
Posted by: Erik Schwinger
11/08/2008 07:11 PM

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag.
Posted by: Nevadamtnbear
11/08/2008 06:54 PM

I am currently living in Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates on assignment, but from Denver Colorado. The City of Denver has some of the Best Bike Trails in the USA!!! How and why it was left out is mind boggling..
Posted by: Tom Craft