Comments
Heyerdahl was sailing with a humble balsa raft with very limited modern tools, Rothschild following with bottles (with special treathment) catamaran boat full of sophisticated modern tools....so what kind of achievment they want to reach?....I hope there is something usefull for making this world better than just another old kind of adventure in new style....anyway bravo for doing that..
Posted by: Eff Ortect
22/11/2009 09:54 AM

Anybody who knows the status on the expedition. Did they embark already?
Posted by: Louisa
10/10/2009 09:12 AM

He'd best be shadowed by a rescue team on stand by!
Posted by: me, myself
03/08/2009 07:56 PM

I hope he makes it. I knew about the trash whirlpool long ago from Natgeo. Just walk the beaches of Mexico outside of the resorts and you can see there is a problem. They are full of plastic bottles, bags, fishing floats, and anything else we make. Good luck.
Posted by: Dan Aldrich
28/07/2009 12:06 PM

Posted by: Dan Aldrich
28/07/2009 10:04 AM

Hi, I read the article about Plastiki in the New Yorker. Great! But I'm worried about putting so much dry ice in the bottles. According to my calculations, about 1 oz. of dry ice will pressurize a 2-liter bottle to about 100 psig. Putting in 16 fl.oz. of dry ice (as the article said) will split those bottles for sure.
Posted by: Bob Schwaar
Website: http://(none)
31/05/2009 11:43 PM

David, Best wishes. Thank you for promoting the recycling and use of plastic products. Please view our web site and contact me, I'll be happy to send yoyou some of our products made with landfill diverted plastic!
All the best to you
Posted by: Paul Keiswetter
18/05/2009 03:26 PM

Hello,
Good luck and I wish you success. I will be following your mission during the Summer.
Posted by: M.Shaikh, England, UK
15/05/2009 03:34 PM

Good luck with this amazing voyage... when you get to Australia you will be only a short distance from New Zealand... On behalf of New Zealand, I invite you and your craft to visit. We would I'm sure give you a fitting welcome. There is much interest here. Bon Voyage...
Posted by: Keith Levy
14/05/2009 01:15 AM

Hi,

I saw your interview in youtube and also in Readers Digest. We have a museum here in Tenerife which explains the last voyage of Thor Hoyerdahl with Kon-Tiki and I believe that you will make
a remarcable history with your Plastiki boat.
Good Luck for your trip.¬°Viva!
Posted by: Laila Ripatti-Escobar
02/05/2009 01:20 PM

Hi,

a remarcable history with your Plastiki boat.
Good Luck for your trip.¬°Viva!
Posted by: Laila Ripatti-Escobar
02/05/2009 01:20 PM

Hello from Sustainable Coastlines!
People interested in this project, will more than likely be interested in what we are doing- a massive coastal cleanup operation on Aotea/Great Barrier Island in New Zealand this coming weekend.
If anyone is interested in coming out to help, please email sustainablecoastlines@hotmail.com to confirm a space on one of our boats. See you out there!
Posted by: Sam Judd
28/03/2009 08:58 PM

What an amazing adventure! Not sure if I would go in cyclone season. Hope this works as I would like to see other boats (kayaks specific) using this knowledge. Will be avidly following David's trip.
Posted by: Pat Weidknecht
09/03/2009 03:55 PM

Is there any way to visit Pier 31 in SF where the Plastiki is bring constructed? I am coming over spring break with my 16 year old to look at the engineering program at Berkeley. We are both sailors.
Posted by: Carolyn
08/03/2009 12:05 AM

Wow, good luck with your journey, you'll defiantly need it! I plan on going to college next year to be an environmentalist and the first thing on my agenda is to figure out how to reduce the size of the Garbage Patch.
Posted by: Carly
07/01/2009 10:33 AM

I am impressed I must say and comment David on his endeavors, no matter what they may be. His philosophy is correct for the times and I am happy to see it, may God bless him and keep him safe. He in my opinion is an improvement on the robber baron generations of the paast, thank God.
Posted by: Bruce Lewis, agent
26/12/2008 07:41 PM

I think your adventure and cause is great. good luck. I will be tracking you.What ever happined to the good o'l canteen? stop trashing the planet with plastic!
Posted by: S. Hodgson
01/12/2008 01:46 PM

He's holding the model upside down, yes? The pontoons would be in the water, the wooden structure on top. That's a hilarious mistake in light of the tone of the article.
Posted by: Carissa
05/11/2008 07:41 PM

Amazing...this David seems like a trip. I look very forward to watching as the project progresses!
Posted by: Julie
27/10/2008 08:36 PM

i agreed with author. thanksqz
Posted by: masahira
19/10/2008 09:35 AM

Is that a big speedskate?
Posted by: Sarah
04/10/2008 12:17 AM

There are many innovative products based around bio-mimicry. I find negating alternative approaches ignorant. I am sure that the same person writing this article did laugh when he heard the first time of the lotus effect. I guess that innovative thinking always has to deal with these kinds of comments. But I would not expect to find it in National Geographic. Well quality seems to drop very often when published on line.
Posted by: Aris
30/09/2008 09:51 AM

What a poorly written piece focussing too much on the negative - this is meant to be innovative and give us all something to look towards for the future and recycling. If it has supposedly been done before then it shows this can work and the team just need to turn the concept into reality and look for the right solutions! These people need support, not unconstructive croticism.
Posted by: Rachel
30/09/2008 09:46 AM

The article is great, I too can't stand to see trash in the water. We navigate the lakes and rivers in central Tennessee, we always pick up trash left be others, it's not hard to fill a blck trash bag. Best of luck on the voyage thru the pacific. Until your article, I never knew about the Eastern Pacific Garbage Patch.....kinda twists your insides!!!
Posted by: David H