Comments
Some great pics here and some I haven't seen before. Good stuff.
Posted by: Craig
24/11/2009 09:21 PM

Check out Help! Finder Australia for all Australian police stations and emergency medical departments. It's got all the direct phone numbers and shows you how to get there from where you are. Good for safety purposes if you're traveling down under.
Posted by: Alfred
24/11/2009 08:20 PM

Don't forget GeoQuest Tech, we develop tours which include interactive maps, video, tip planners and much more. Check it out an www.geoquesttech.com
Posted by: Josh Jensen
23/11/2009 01:29 PM

This is the welcome page for the dentaldoctor.us Association web site.
Posted by: Doctorset
20/11/2009 03:25 PM

iDistress is another good one! It picks the local emergency number for you and sends out a distress text
Posted by: Ryan B
19/11/2009 11:22 AM

My new favorite travel app is GoTourIt. The app provides self-guided tours of cities, national parks, and other cool places. The audio guides are local and unique rather than just a wikipedia repeat.
Posted by: Ben
04/11/2009 01:08 PM

Posted by: Ben
04/11/2009 01:07 PM

There's a brand new iPhone application from British travel company Superbreak, which allows you to book from their catalogue of over 7000 UK and Europe hotels on the move. It also has geo-location, so you can find hotels with vacancies nearby.
Posted by: Jemma
04/11/2009 09:47 AM

PocketSherpa offers travelers some local advice. You tap in your destination and question (such as "where's the most romantic sunset in Naples?") and locals respond with their favorites. PocketSherpa is in the AppStore.
Posted by: Peter
13/10/2009 05:41 PM

I bookmarked this link. Thank you for good job!,
Posted by: Etalisien
12/10/2009 12:26 AM

It is the coolest site, keep so!,
Posted by: Ceing
10/10/2009 07:49 PM

beautiful information but it's impossible to buy an iPhone in Belgium, I try since 7 weeks to have one from Brussels to Liège and everywhere else.
no trace of iPhone, easier to find a Taliban.
bad business made by Mobistar and Apple in my country ....
Posted by: Molitor Jacques
30/09/2009 05:38 AM

Steve, great article! Wanted to let you know about our app Tally-O that lets you create your own travel guides that you can share with friends. Would love to hear what you think! tally-o.com has more info.
Posted by: Tally-O Adventures
31/08/2009 06:54 PM

Why not try Igoshi for the iPhone? It's simple stuff but works anywhere :)
Posted by: Stuart Johnston
07/08/2009 06:41 AM

What does it cost to use travel apps when outside of US. Is WiFi covered by my standard contract with ATT or will it be 100.00 dollars for me to fine a great steak place in Melbourne?
Posted by: Brenda Fritz
05/08/2009 03:18 PM

You neglected to mention the travel app I find most helpful: TripIt. Linked to the www.tripit.com service, it stores all your itineraries and reservations (hotels, air, car rental, tour bookings, etc.) for easy access.
Posted by: A Beebe
Website: http://N/A
05/08/2009 12:28 PM

if the travel apps were so great, they would be free as part of the "greatest smart phone ever." after buying the phone, paying the exorbitant rates of the service providers for international service, then buying the apps, i found it's cheaper and simply more enjoyable to simply "ask somebody" when traveling abroad.
asking encourages new ways of learning and understanding and allows for greater human interaction which is where the real "advances" need to occur. love somebody, not the phone.
Posted by: ra williams
16/07/2009 08:19 AM

And... how much does all that online access cost when you are in another country, away from wi-fi? An arm and a leg. Most people have to turn their phone off at precisely the point where it would be useful.
I wonder what weekly money National Geographic pays their reporters to subsidise 3G and Edge location services like that?
I would love to use my iphone when in Rome, or Paris, or Rio - but I can't afford it !!
Lets get a standard world roaming price - then let's hear about Ho Chi Minh online
Posted by: Peter Jamieson
13/07/2009 11:50 AM

I prefer to use public transport when travelling. There are some good, free iPhone apps available from transit authorities that provide point-to-point routing, including iBART (Bay Area)
Posted by: Bernie Torbik
12/07/2009 04:14 PM

Bought my first iphone ( 3G UK ) and i love it. Had another touch phone before but iphone is miles ahead then the rest.
Now its time for me to check out App store :)
Posted by: Irfan
08/07/2009 05:28 AM

mySpots - Neat new app lets you save places while traveling!
Posted by: Travis Williams
06/07/2009 09:58 AM

Are you really sure that IAmHere is better than WhereIAm? I think you're very wrong. Try WhereIAm (named DoveSto for Italians)
Posted by: Mary
05/07/2009 03:56 AM

No ATT for me, either, but T-Mobile now has unlocked iPhones, and most of these apps work on the iPod anyway.
Posted by: Tricia
03/07/2009 04:27 PM

We need a Spanish/English dictionary with voice recognition and pronunciAtion. J. Mark Maire
Posted by: J. Mark Maire Sr
03/07/2009 10:33 AM

TRIP IT--I love this app. I send my itineraries by e-mail and they appear on my iPhone with maps and direct link via Safari to check the current flight status. Also booking telephone number is listed. LOVE IT!
Posted by: Lindy McKnight
02/07/2009 04:49 PM

I would like to tell you about an app called Email N Walk. Hence the name, it uses the iPhone's camera to display in real time the world around you, while you're typing up an email.
Posted by: David Balerk
02/07/2009 10:56 AM

Best currency converter by far is eCurrency, beautifully designed and so easy to use - how it should be!
Posted by: Tony Norton
02/07/2009 09:11 AM

Currency conversion is always a pain. XE Currency (free) is a must have for all travellers. When online it downloads automatically the latest exchange rates for the selected currencies. When offline it caches the last download. Brilliant!
Posted by: Mat
02/07/2009 08:01 AM

for those of us with U.S. iphones, how can we expect to economically use our iphones abroad without taking out another mortgage? Instapaper makes sense, but any app that connects to the net would incur massive data charges. No?
02/07/2009 07:26 AM

Terrific info. You just sold me on an Iphone. ATT is the only part holding me back.
Posted by: Linda Rorer
02/07/2009 05:14 AM

Both the Babelingo and Lonely Planet translation apps are terrible and should not have been included in this list. The iTranz Language Matrix is a far better translation App that also includes accurate world currency conversion among other useful features.

It must have been overlooked in the review process for this article......
Posted by: John Babinec
02/07/2009 01:50 AM

The Unlike travel guide app is great for finding hip spots in some select cities. I used it on my recent backpacking trip through Europe and was constantly surprising my group with places the locals hung out instead of the typical tourist traps.
Posted by: Travis Todd
01/07/2009 04:53 PM

SKYPE is AMAZING for making international calls while travelling! I made calls from SPAIN to the US using the hotel's WiFi connection. I bought the international calling plan from Skype for $12.95 and made unlimited calls to landlines AND cell phones in the US. All the calls were crystal clear!! It sure beats paying .99 per minute!!!
Posted by: Dan
01/07/2009 04:41 PM

yeah.... overseas these apps arent so great as they cost a lot OR are quite limited
Posted by: Dominik Pich
01/07/2009 02:51 PM

I really like the Rick Steves apps. I used the Historic Paris Walk, and I loved that it recommended nearby restaurants.
Posted by: Bethany
01/07/2009 11:56 AM

Room is one of nodconcept's travel apps. We also have Travel Assistant Pro
Posted by: Ivy
01/07/2009 11:35 AM

Urban Spoon is great. I've always had good luck using it in Chicago.
Posted by: Sara
01/07/2009 11:26 AM

These are great but remember these apps cost a FORTUNE to use overseas. ONE email/app can cost you $40 unless you want to pay upwards of $100 a month for an additional data package from AT
Posted by: Dwight
01/07/2009 11:26 AM

Thanks for sharing these good tips. I'm off to download those I don't already have!
Posted by: Mim Bizic
01/07/2009 11:08 AM

Posted by: Mim Bizic
01/07/2009 11:07 AM

Agree Air Sharing is good, but Evernote is better! Can do webclipping, pdfs, text files etc., but also voice memos, snapshots from your iPhone camera or other picture, AND pics are searchable for text, which it identifies really well. Even better, Evernote is free (though you can get bigger storage pro version), and you can sync notes back and forth to free Evernote desktop software (on Mac
Posted by: Josie Fraser
01/07/2009 10:53 AM

Great survey of travel apps. I travel all the time and there is one you have missed. FxChange Currency is so invaluable as a travel tool. It not only does currency exchange but also acts as a shopping tool, so that you know what you are paying for things.
Posted by: Paul
01/07/2009 10:51 AM

You "tease" the app ROOM, but never mention it in the article. What is it?
Posted by: Bill
01/07/2009 10:10 AM

should have posted links to apps!
01/07/2009 08:54 AM

A little expensive but I rely on Travel Tracker to keep up with all the details of all my trips. And I find Truphone to be as good as or better than Skype
Posted by: J Bailey
01/07/2009 04:47 AM

I really don't know what's the point of using an iphone while traveling when you can't insert SIMs from networks in other countries in your iphone. Unless of course you're one of those without a passport and stuck in your own country.
Posted by: Randy
01/07/2009 02:57 AM

I would definitely trade Google Earth for Worldview Live and have a look at local webcams to see what´s up or what the weather is really like right in the moment I need to know...
Posted by: Alexander Hansen
01/07/2009 01:30 AM

"None of these apps is worth lugging around an iPhone....." "Lugging?" Puuleeze! Been using Macs since the 512K and the iPhone has become my most valuable business and personal electronic tool. I "lug" it around in my shirt pocket!
Posted by: Mike Morris
01/07/2009 12:47 AM

It would have been cool had you linked to the apps in the App Store. Some of these are new to me ... thanks for putting the list together!
Posted by: Cole Camplese
30/06/2009 11:33 PM

Urbanspoon is great for US cities but the best application for finding restaurants and bars in Asia is buUuk. And it's free as well.
Posted by: mohan
30/06/2009 11:33 PM

i-medjet is an amazingly handy app. first aid medical advice and travel safety/health tips.
Posted by: eric
30/06/2009 10:04 PM

I have a GREAT idea for an application. Where can a user like me take an idea and turn it into a product (application)?
Posted by: B. Kelly
30/06/2009 09:09 PM

I've been traveling in South America with GPS Log recently, cool way to log the places I visit.
Posted by: Bob
30/06/2009 08:56 PM

Roaming charges from ATT for the internet when you are travelling abroad are ENORMOUS.
Posted by: stephanie richmond
30/06/2009 08:30 PM

I like Translator (Free) for being able to converse in different languages and gopostal which lets me make my own post cards to send back home
Posted by: Tom
30/06/2009 08:07 PM

Why do people (mostly those on wireless carriers who provide boring, 19th century technology cell phones) try so hard to find excuses not to get an iphone. Dont hate, congratulate. The Iphone is the most amazing gadget ever, hands down. For some reason I dont hear many iphone users complaining about carrying one around. Why would you? Well the device does anything and everything your phone can do and more. Don't worry, they just reduce the price to keep you crybabies happy. These apps are great!
Posted by: Kai
30/06/2009 07:23 PM

The problem with google earth is that the images - even in highly populated areas of the United States - are ancient. Google needs to pony up a few bucks and buy the available more up to date images from its suppliers.
Posted by: RT
30/06/2009 06:42 PM

Another vote for TripIt. Travel Tracker is also good but not as elegant as TripIt.
Posted by: Linda G
30/06/2009 06:11 PM

Yawn. None of these apps are worth lugging around an iPhone and its hefty $70 monthly fee.
30/06/2009 05:06 PM

I see you mention TripIt in FlightTrack Pro's entry, but frankly I'd rate TripIt within the top 20 travel apps by itself. Say, in space 12. And it's free. (no, I don't work for or with TripIt, I merely use it)
Posted by: NickW
30/06/2009 04:41 PM

where exactly is the Skype program available for downloading???
It is not in the APP Store.
Please let me know where to get it.
This list was really useful!
Posted by: Julian Itagaki
30/06/2009 03:33 PM

Yes, but how much are the roaming charges from ATT for the internet when you are in, for instance, Saigon?? I have heard that to use you iPhone overseas for accessing the internet the costs can be astronomical! Please advise. Thanks-CC
Posted by: Cecilia Cardwell
30/06/2009 02:49 PM

iTirp is a great app too.
Posted by: Juan Carlos Varela
30/06/2009 02:39 PM

Tripit (www.tripit.com) is great. Also, you can Share your current location using Google Maps. Hit the current location button, hit the little arrow next to your current location when it shows up, and hit share. Free and built-in... Who needs another app for that.
Posted by: Dan
30/06/2009 02:27 PM

Posted by: Dan
30/06/2009 02:27 PM

I have tried many of these, but would like to suggest 2 that I find more useful than any of the above:

TripIt creates itineraries by having you simply e-mail the itinerary you receive from your booking site to plans@tripit.com. The iPhone app automatically holds your entire itinerary and will give you flight updates, confirmation numbers, etc. You can also share with friends.

Cardstar keeps your frequent flier #'s, hotel, etc. neatly organized so you can access them on the road quickly.
Posted by: JSBULL
30/06/2009 02:15 PM

Great list! I agree with TUAW about "Pano" and "3D Camera." Both great additions!
Posted by: MollyM
Website: http://none
30/06/2009 02:09 PM

goPostal (www.PrintYourLife.com) is a pretty cool app that lets you create and mail physical postcards from your iPhone...

I'm definitely planning on taking that one with me on my next trip!
Posted by: Eliana
30/06/2009 01:09 PM

Wow Steve, This is really interesting and helpful. What a surprise to find you on my computer today. I need to get an iPhone.
Lynn
Posted by: lynn organ
30/06/2009 01:03 PM

I've had great luck with "Around Me" for easily finding banks, gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc. Extremely useful when traveling through unknown areas. Also easy to use. Bruce Benson
Posted by: bruce benson
30/06/2009 12:22 PM

Open Door Networks puts out some cool apps called Envi apps. They are mostly web image browsers, but they have a special travel line that uses Michael Brein's guides for getting around cities (e.g., London, Paris, Madrid, Hawaii, DC, Chicago) using public transportation. You get descriptions for 50 top points of interest, subway and bus route maps, street maps, and some photos. It's all built in, so you don't need a connection. And it's green, since the focus is on public transportation.
Posted by: Grant Ruiz
30/06/2009 12:21 PM

With kids great apps for the iPhone or iPod Touch (same thing) is little fun games such as Bounce, Cooking Mama, iDare and more. Great for a long flight to keep them entertained, without spending any much money. Note: **Do not use the ones that are free that say LITE because that is only a demo. If you are in a car, or lane for over 2 hours, i suggest you use the full version**
Posted by: Kriztyna
30/06/2009 12:20 PM

For travel in Asia/Middle East/ Australia the buUuk restaurant guide is a must.
Posted by: Jon
30/06/2009 12:13 PM

I AM HERE is another good application, I also recommend Bright Kite - another great travel application I like is Trapster. Which gives users a GPS listing of known Police Speed Traps and Stop Light Cameras
Posted by: timkerrickDOTcom
30/06/2009 10:37 AM

UrbanSpoon is ok - but I like Metro Mix better
Posted by: timkerrickDOTcom
30/06/2009 10:32 AM

Another great weather app...I like it the best...Weather Underground...i.wund.com
Posted by: Tom
30/06/2009 09:51 AM

1. With the iPhone 3.0 software update notes do sync between your phone and your computer
2. You couldn't have linked to the actual apps?
Posted by: Bill Barnes
30/06/2009 09:25 AM

While traveling with our kids, we use the Family Car Games iPhone app to find us travel games we can play in the car (you can only play 20 Questions and sing 100 Bottles of Beer for so long...)
Posted by: Ruth
30/06/2009 08:12 AM

Couldn't find the room app?!?
Posted by: Karen
30/06/2009 05:41 AM

I think the functionality is really best when GPS awareness combines with Push notification. Travelers particularly, can benefit from serendipity 'opt-in' features.
Posted by: Grant S
30/06/2009 03:27 AM

Just one thing:
After all those incredible features, 3-megapixel camera?
Nowadays???
That's quite ridiculous. What were they thinking about?
Posted by: Tzippy Lankin
30/06/2009 01:25 AM

Just one thing:
After all those incredible features, 3-megapixel camera?
Nowadays???
That's quite ridiculous. What were they thinking about?
Posted by: Tzippy Lankin
30/06/2009 01:25 AM

HoodHot's Beijing Taxi Guide was invaluable in telling Chinese taxi drivers where to go, providing them with the Chinese-language addresses to over 3000 venues in bold text - we speak Mandarin fluently and we still get lost without the Taxi Guides! Apps in Shanghai and Guangzhou also.
Posted by: William Cheung
30/06/2009 01:02 AM

It's useful to have a reusable list of items to pack or people to send postcards to, for this I use an app called ReDo, to reuse lists and quickly add items I forgot for next time
Posted by: Maddy
30/06/2009 01:00 AM

I travel constantly and the app I use most is not on your list.

Check out TRIPIT. The best free travel utility there is.
Posted by: Ted
30/06/2009 12:57 AM

I am amazed at the flexibility of the iPhone/iPod Touch, and the many ravel apps that are out there. I also have myLite, which provides temporary lighting in the event of power outages in remote locations (such as Timor-Leste)
Posted by: Takashi R. Yamamoto
30/06/2009 12:49 AM

I am using TripIt for an upcoming trip and its fantastic for storing all my travel info. I notice you mention using flighttrackpro with tripit, can't see the point when tripits own iphone app is so good
Posted by: Wayne
29/06/2009 11:50 PM

Living in Melbourne I travel to Japan and New Zealand for snowboarding each year but I found that while overseas my iPhone become useless! For International travel it seems your iPhone will only work in certain 'connecting' countries unless you have it unlocked.

I do use Urban Spoon quite a bit for when I want something 'new' to eat in Melbourne. Its just great fun! I also use TwitterFon, Tumblr and facebook (all are free apps).
Posted by: amiriche
29/06/2009 10:26 PM

AirFare is also a helpful and useful app. It gives you the lowest fares on international flights
Posted by: Nadine Ruiz
29/06/2009 10:14 PM

Yelp is my favorite! I use it for everything and everywhere. U need to find a restaurant, bar, or a grocery store. Just Yelp it!
Posted by: Nadine Ruiz
29/06/2009 10:12 PM

I think any app that syncs with Trip It has to be a top priority. Travel Tracker is good for more business orientated travel and GlobeJot looks cool for personal travel plans. My preference is Evernote rather than Writeroom. A lot more flexibility for free. Postino saves the hassles of finding a post office and buying stamps. I love Packing! Travel Check offers "out the door" style check lists. The Oxford Translators are brilliant apps for European Languages.
Posted by: Miss Maccy
29/06/2009 10:05 PM

You really should give TripCase a try if you haven't already. Makes organizing and keeping up with your travel itineraries a snap, especially when things change.
Posted by: Andy Trommer
29/06/2009 09:39 PM

InstaPaper is a free read-later app. Install the app on iphone, install the button on a browser. Visit a site, press the button. Read the article later on the iphone, either in easy reading note format or the original web page. You do have to open the app before turning off wifi/g3 to get the articles. It is super easy, free, and fast! I use it all the time for when I have to wait in lines.
Posted by: csleh
29/06/2009 09:36 PM

TripIt is a great app that can keep track of your entire travel agenda with maps, confirmations, etc... Via the website you can also make others privy to that info for information or as co-travelers. Highly recommended!
Posted by: Michael
29/06/2009 09:31 PM

Posted by: Michael
29/06/2009 09:31 PM

Just wanted to read the other tips from readers
Posted by: bpierce
29/06/2009 09:04 PM

On your advice I downloaded Urbanspoon and Air Sharing. Well actually I threw down ten bucks and bought Air Sharing Pro so I could print documents, connect to my iDisk, and email, but you get the point. I already had Tweetie and use it all the time, but that would have been next.
Posted by: Belson
19/06/2009 10:47 PM

I read the Digital Adventure article. I have a new Iphone and ordered the Brunton Solo 3.4 battery. Charged the battery(red light changes to green) and plugged it in to my new Iphone which was running out of juice and nothing happened. No juice. Check out the reviews of the Brunton Solo 3.4 battery in Amazon.com - they are really poor. I'm shipping it back. You let me down.
Posted by: Jerry Pike