Comments
I make a flavorful drink of water, bitters and oj for my evening tipple these days. The bitters give it enough of an exotic taste to make it satisfying, the oj for sweetness and the 80% water for the benefits of water. I became allergic to sulfides and had to find a different something....
Posted by: Beve
24/11/2009 12:54 AM

I don't drink alcohol. Anyone have a good substitute for a glass of red wine a day?
Posted by: R Rosen
23/11/2009 12:37 PM

very good artical i agree with most of it
Posted by: james vandewark
21/11/2009 01:04 PM

Good article! I am health care provider and believe that STRESS causes illness and if not unchecked, ultimately premature death. Whatever produces stress in your life, reduce or get rid of it.
Posted by: Rosemary Perez
08/11/2009 09:26 PM

Posted by: Rosemary Perez
08/11/2009 09:26 PM

His comment regarding running "wearing out" hips and joints is inaccurate. There is a growing body or research that finds bone density and connective tissue health is greater in long distance runners - compared to non-runners.
Posted by: Jim
18/10/2009 10:03 AM

I find the Seventh-day Adventists to be the most interesting group because their members are not genetically closely related like the other two groups studied. Thus, if followed, the SDA diet and lifestyle allow all ethnicities to enjoy a long, healthy, and active life.
Posted by: Darlye Elise Innocent
04/10/2009 03:25 PM

I do agree with your ideas but I really think that 75 percent of your good fortune to live a long life has more to do with your inherited GENES than anything else. My great grandparents who were born in the late 1800"s lived to late in their 90"s and they smoked drank and ate plenty of fatty foods.
Posted by: Elaine
19/09/2009 02:54 PM

Good article! Along with eating mostly unprocessed vegetables and reduced meat, the daily wine intake should also include 'new' wine as in grape juice, because of the inherent problems with alcohol, which many people cannot handle.
Posted by: Terry Morris
13/09/2009 09:05 AM

There are many elements to longevity: Cut down Calorie intake,Exercise regularly, Increase your Supplement intake (research what are the essentials) Remain happy with unselfish service to others, Have a religious Faith, be optimistic in outlook. Keep mentally curious and active.
Posted by: John Tilley
17/08/2009 05:17 PM

According to a physician these people live longer due to a high mineral content in the natural water. One way to make yourself happier which you correctly point out means you will live longer is to study Scientology. Not only does it do this but it decreases your reaction time, increases your IQ, helps have a healthier body- this includes a purification proces to rid the body of drug, chemical,pesticide and radiation residues. An a lot more.
Posted by: Dr Jeff O'Carroll
13/08/2009 12:18 PM

"Sardinians drink this wine with great frequency and gusto." That sounds like more than a glass of wine a day to me. Where did the one glass a day recommendation come from?
Posted by: S. Scholton
12/08/2009 12:30 PM

Come to Thailand and live out your Golden Years, healthy food, good health care, great climate, and lots of caring and loving people
Posted by: J. Torgersen
12/08/2009 09:55 AM

The list should include,good genetic code,living in areas with little polution,clean water,living withlow levels of stress,living in ambients with confortable temperatures,avoiding areas with virus.
Posted by: Armando Monteiro
Website: http://------
03/08/2009 04:11 PM

Simple is best.

I was a vegetarian for almost ten years, and couldn't put on any muscel. I was practising martial arts and yoga, and wound up with tendonitis - which I think was attributed to to a lack of protien/muscel. I've been on a high protien diet for several years now, and finally am putting on some muscel
Posted by: Art Smitherman
02/08/2009 08:49 AM

I am 65,have never been sick a day in my live,used to smoke 1 pack a day,quit it cold turkey about 10 years ago.I am 6 feet 3 and have the same build as when I was 19,34 inch waist,only the colour of my hair has changed.I think i live at least till I am 100.And my medicine cabinet is empty,always was and always will be.
Posted by: Gerard Kors
01/08/2009 01:36 AM

I am 89 and healthy! The greatest power for long life I fined is just to love and be loved in return.
Posted by: Carl V ietor
31/07/2009 12:48 PM

Great article about using common sense and will power. I'm 60 and run 6 miles a day, 5 days a week and have been running since the age of 13. So far I have not had any injuries or kneee
Posted by: Steve
29/07/2009 01:07 PM

Dan Beuttner is "right-on." Why wouldn't he be? He
doesn't just theorize--he investigates and finds truth based in realities he sees in his travels!
I always believed tha being with "good" people with good habits, smiling and laughing, eating a little less (and less meat) is the way to go...And without religious thoughts and beliefs
there would be a life that adds up to zero!
Michael F. Bell, Sr. sntsbell@msn.com
P.S. I wrote a novel called, "Light of Heaven."
Posted by: Michael F. Bell, Sr.
29/07/2009 11:15 AM

life is unfair to many women. i'm 57, exercise 4/5 times a week, eat a little of everything and since menopause my life changed. heath and headaches. got 6kg. stil nice looking, but feeling depressed and affected by other people's troubles. i do not wanto to live longer, but have my previous life happiness back as soon as possible...
Posted by: maria aparecida
28/07/2009 04:22 PM

Rule out soy now because much of it is geneticily modified which means it is useless to eat.Grapes yes/grapefruit yes/organic food yes/vitamin c foods as oranges/greens/etc/small fish onlyto eliminate excess mercury from being absorbedd.
Posted by: pedro mohr
Website: http://yahoo
24/07/2009 02:54 AM

All of the above is great common sense but difficult to find all in one place. Thanks for putting it all together.
Posted by: Fred
16/07/2009 06:23 PM

Soybeans, Grapes, and Yoghurt are said Very Good for a longer lives.
Posted by: Gin Suzue
15/07/2009 12:12 PM

John Robbins' book, Healthy at 100, makes and expands on these points based on study of 4 long-lived people groups
Posted by: Scott Kirkconnell
Website: http://none
13/07/2009 06:52 PM

Dan speaks of the importance of wear and tear on one's body from running etc. What about the effects of long-term weight training?
Posted by: Paul Smaby
13/07/2009 02:00 PM

For basically the same concept plus scientific research to back it up, look into the book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration at ppnf.org. Dr. Weston Price traveled the globe studying the eating habits and you can learn exactly what to eat and what to stay away from. PPNF is a nonprofit organization dedicated to keeping Dr Price's, and Dr. Francis Pottenger's available.
Posted by: Jeff Simon
12/07/2009 08:13 PM

Re-learning how to play again may also increase longevity. Our culture tends to ignore the potential of play after childhood as a viable stress reliever and creativity energizer. Once forgotten, play must be re-learned and practiced regularly to be viable.
Posted by: nils lou
12/07/2009 04:38 PM

I suspect that viral disease is the cause of many diseases most especially cancer. There must be some factor in these blue zones that keeps them from exposure to such viruses. In particular, some STDs are definitley viral as we now know: AIDS, HPV as one of the predominent casues of cervical cancer, and probably many more than we realize. Do these populations have habits unlike others that may account for this as a factor in longevity? Just something to think about!
Posted by: Robert
12/07/2009 02:53 PM

SIX STEPS TO EASY WEIGHT LOSS
I lost 27 lbs. over two years by doing the following:

1) exercise (I walked 4 miles a day) built up from two miles per day. Five days per week.

2) Cut out butter, white breads,
Posted by: Ray
12/07/2009 12:31 PM

Rather than cutting certain foods out of our diets I suggest that moderation is the key. As Mr. Katz (at 87) has pointed out, eating meat does not necessarily condemn one to an early grave. My grandparents lived well into their 90's and ate bacon and eggs every morning and meat in their other 2 meals. I've read from other reliable sources that true vegetarians have a shorter life span so there seems to be some contradictions. The fact of the matter is, we all have different body chemistries.
Posted by: Wise Guy
12/07/2009 12:05 PM

Jackal - Humans are animalistic. All animals are weaned off milk at an early age because you no longer need it. Consuming milk builds mucus in your system. There are other ways to get calcium.

Anonymous - Cannot deny your appetite, or will not? You are sabataging yourself. Your best start would be an intenstinal cleanse
Posted by: Been there
12/07/2009 11:03 AM

"life expectancy through most of recorded history was 28"
It's discouraging when someone knows next to nothing yet is writing about it. Average life expectancy through most of man's history, recorded and prerecorded, was about 70, once you were 1. Evidence: intro. anthro. The Bible, even! (Psalms: "The years of our lives are three score and ten, and if by reason of strength they be four score..." Only during the urban and industrial revolution did it go down.
Posted by: James Loewen
12/07/2009 09:47 AM

wonderful tips for longivity
Posted by: S Kotrappa
12/07/2009 09:18 AM

note that simplicity is also one of the keys to live longer bcos when u take things easy u will have rest of mind, bcos whatever anyone does u will not be disturbed ,too much disturbance can make u develop hypertension which is a killer disease.
Posted by: akinwale blessing
08/07/2009 09:42 AM

Have been overweight and/obese most of my life. If anyone out there can tell me how to cut my calories when I simply cannot deny my appetite, I'd like to know.
07/07/2009 08:53 AM

Has anyone ever looked at the results of cow's milk on populations? Probably the most common denominator in our society. It seems to have a serious effect on growth so what else is happening? Does the lack of spiritual belief in any mythical god sentence me to a shorter lifespan? I have many more questions but limited in space, so I'll just ponder thes a little longer.
Posted by: Jackal
07/07/2009 07:31 AM

> see your six basic food group . . .
> don't forget your spiritual life, be it the first
and put Got the center of your life. . .
> cutting out all toxic people around you . . .
> be energetic and relaxful . . .
Posted by: lollette
06/07/2009 09:07 PM

I have eaten meat at least 6 days a week since I was in my early teens. I am now 87 in perfect health and my only poblem was that I had two n]knees replaced eleven years ago. Just like the man you are using as an example, I can be sude as one fo just the opposite/
Posted by: Burton Katz
06/07/2009 07:25 PM

Amen to what you and Mr. Buettner are saying. How many years have we been killing ourselves for corporate profits and greed. How much damage is truely done? We'll find out in about 10 years when all these chronically stressed individuals begin to show up at the local hospitals in droves. We can already see it.
Posted by: Marc
06/07/2009 06:49 PM

Most of the people living in the Blue Zone work outside everyday and get their Vitmin D. Vitamin D improves your immune system and helps with many health issues. I do walking and do super strenght 25 min exercise once a week for strenght and balance.I eat organic fruits, vegables and meat and buy from farmer's markerts I do eat meat small serverings from eggs, chicken, beef and different fish and I feel great at 68
Posted by: Joyce Baunach
06/07/2009 06:20 PM

I was 77 on May 1 2009. I look and perform like I am 55. I can therefore endorse all the above statements and recommendations for healthy and happy longevity. But, perhaps some good genetic endowment is involved in the longevity stakes as well.
Posted by: Philip Nunez
06/07/2009 05:32 PM

NGA: It'd be nice if you actually listed the 9 points as you did in a sidebar in the print version. I am a subscriber and came here to get an e-version. Guess I'll get out the scissors...
Posted by: PNine
06/07/2009 10:42 AM

Fascinating collection of strategies for quality longevity! Clarification is needed, though, re: pork consumption.

Not all "Blue Zone" populations consume pork. Seventh-day Adventists, represented by the Loma Linda group, encourage vegetarianism. The denomination also recognizes "clean and unclean meats" as defined by biblical texts in Leviticus and Deuteronomy, and considers pork to be "unclean." It would be unusual to find an observant SDA consuming pork.
Posted by: Linda Colwell
29/06/2009 02:49 PM

I don't think that a totally plant based diet is boring, and according to the UN report of Nov. '06, eating less meat appears to be the most powerful thing we can do about global warming. What an incentive that is toward planetary longevity!
Posted by: Don Robertson
22/06/2009 10:34 PM

Have you looked into reasons for longevity of the Andorran population?
@AAinslie
Posted by: Alexander Ainslie @AAinslie
22/06/2009 12:08 PM

I found this article to be right on time, especially the line about cutting out toxic people in your life...the mention pert. pork, and the paragraph on running.
Posted by: RodneyG
19/06/2009 04:03 PM

This is useful and insightful - may really help in my life - but I want to share on Facebook!
Posted by: Connie Madden