Backpacker's Pantry Biscuits and Country Gravy - Serves 2
A hearty meal to start the day off right, the Backpacker's Pantry Biscuits & Gravy are buttery biscuits in a hearty brown gravy. A little extra work, but so worth it.
- Serving Size: Two 14 oz. Servings
- INGREDIENTS: BISCUIT MIX (BLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR [BLEACHED FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], VEGETABLE SHORTENING [PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, WITH TBHQ & CITRIC ACID], LEAVENING [SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, ALUMINUM SULFATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE], WHEY POWDER, SALT, SUGAR, DEXTROSE), GRAVY (WHEAT FLOUR [MALTED BARELY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], NONFAT DRY MILK, CREAM POWDER [CREAM, LECITHIN, TOCOPHEROLS AND ASCORBYL PALMITATE], SOY SAUSAGE (TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN [SOY FLOUR, CARAMEL COLOR], PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, SUGAR, HYDROLYZED CORN GLUTEN-SOY-WHEAT GLUTEN PROTEIN, NATURAL FLAVORS), CORN STARCH, HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN, BUTTER POWDER [BUTTER (CREAM, SALT, ANNATTO EXTRACT), NONFAT DRY MILK, BUTTERMILK, SODIUM CITRATE, CITRIC ACID, TOCOPHEROL, BETA CAROTENE], MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SALT, NATURAL BUTTER FLAVOR [WHEY SOLIDS, ENZYME-MODIFIED BUTTER OIL, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, DEHYDRATED BUTTER, GUAR GUM, ANNATTO AND TURMERIC], VEGETARIAN CHICKEN SOUP BASE [HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, NATURAL FLAVOR, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SOYBEAN OIL, SILICONE DIOXIDE, TURMERIC], HICKORY SMOKE POWDER [MALTODEXTRIN, NATURAL HICKORY SMOKE FLAVOR , SILICON DIOXIDE], DEXTROSE, SUGAR, SOY SAUCE POWDER [WHEAT, SOYBEANS, SALT, MALTODEXTRIN AND SALT], MALTODEXTRIN, VEGETARIAN BEEF SOUP BASE [TORTULA YEAST, NATURAL FLAVOR, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, CANOLA OIL, AND SILICON DIOXIDE] AND SPICES).
- ALLERGENS: SOYBEANS, MILK, WHEAT, GLUTEN
- Directions: (Requires cooking) Remove biscuit mix and set aside. Add gravy mix to 2 cups (480 mL) of water and stir well. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally. In a separate container, combine biscuit mix packet with 1/2 cup (120 mL) of water. Stir until well mixed. Once gravy boils, add biscuit dough by spoonfuls. You should get 4-6 biscuits. Cover pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for 6-8 minutes until biscuits are done. Serve hot with gravy ladled over the biscuits.
- Dry Weight: 7.5 OZ (212g)
Purchase the Backpacker's Pantry Biscuits and Country Gravy - Serves 2 from Altrec.com. All order totals over $45 qualify for free ground shipping.
- December 7 2010
Good idea, not so good.
I don't believe I messed up the directions, but I suppose that could be a possibilty. We ended up with a more of a biscuit blob than biscuits and gravy. Knowing that this dish had the potential to be on the bland side, I had also dehydrated Jimmy Dean sausage to add in separately. This helped the flavor, but since we ended up with a biscuit blob, it didn't help the meal. For the price you might want to try it once to see if I just blew it.