Metolius Ultralight TCU Pkg
Designed for great performance when alpine, aid or free climbing, the Metolius Ultralight TCU Packaged set includes 6 Ultralight TCU cams that are lightweight and have a narrow head width that allows them to fit where other cams won't. Built with a Range Finder feedback system, the Ultralight TCU is easier and safer to place and the U-shaped, stainless steel body provides greater durability than single-stem units and unparalleled control during placement and retraction. Set includes 6 cams; sizes #00-4 and free cam lube.
- World’s best selling mini-cam
- Pre-packed set of the 6 best-selling sizes: #00-4 plus FREE CAM LUBE
- Save 10% when purchasing the set over buying them individually
- 7075 T-6 aluminum CNC machined for much greater precision than stamped or extruded cams
- Color-coded sewn slings and tubing
- Narrow head width for the most placement options
- Direct Axle Technology™ (DAT™) makes Ultralight TCUs the lightest cams units in the world
- DAT allows for more placement options in shallow, narrow, or bottoming placements
- DAT makes tricky placements easier due to better cam lobe visibility, especially in the small sizes
- 13 mm Dyneema slings are lighter and less bulky
- Ranger Finder tells you at a glance if you've chosen the right size cam for the placement
- Optimized cam angle for more outward force
- Wider cam faces for more grip
- U-shaped body for greater durability & unparalleled control during placement and retraction
- CE/UIAA certified
- Hand built, inspected and individually tested to 1/2 rated strength in Bend, Oregon
- Includes 6 cams: #00-4
Purchase the Metolius Ultralight TCU Pkg from Altrec.com. All order totals over $45 qualify for free ground shipping.
- April 15 2011
Fills in small gaps
I got these mostly for the really small pieces. After I got the whole package I realized the finger size pieces fill in nicely with my Black Diamond cams. The size is just different enough to work when the BD will not but close enough to constitute doubles in those sizes. When fiddling with a nut isn't ideal, I have found the really small pieces to be really handy. I really like my double rack after finishing it out with these cams. They feel really solid. Maybe because they are a lot newer than my other cams. The only con I have found is the trigger. With deeper placements in a horizontal crack, the trigger is more llikely to be pulled against the rock edge. But this is easily remedied by using some other piece of gear.
- January 6 2011
TCU - Can't beat it
These things are solid in the small sizes vs. BDs. Saw them on a lot of racks in Yosemite.....what other proof do you need.
- January 28 2010
CAMS - In the past I have been running a rack of all BD C4's, nuts & the 2 smallest aliens. I have a gap in range between the blue Alien & the .3 C4. (I have a full set of C3's & don't like/trust them in awkward placements.) I figured I would add a couple aliens until I fell in love with the TCU brought by a partner on Fairview Dome last Sept. Switching to Metolius solves the reliability & duribility issues with Aliens. Read the Master Cam (MC) reviews (especially Chris Mac's on ST), analyzed a gear spread spread sheet (that I made) & it all makes since. The goal is to stay with the same manufacturer of cams to simplify sizing under pressure & keep the ability to switch gear based upon the route. I considered weight range durability ability to interchange based upon climbing styles (crag, alpine & aid) RACK SMALL CAM SYSTEM 1. CRAG Master Cams, full set BD C4, full set up #2 or #3 depending on route and assuming no offwidth. If OW the Big Bros & Valley Giant by Tom Casper come out to play!!! 2. ALPINE - Weight is a concern. Replace the Master Cams set with TCU set. Cut's the weight in 1/2 for (equal # of samll cams); equal low-end range for easy sizing & TCU goes wider on top-end; colors coded slings match. 3. AID Bring it all!!!