Here at National Geographic ADVENTURE, we have very scientific means of measuring the changing of the seasons. So how, you ask, do we know spring is here? One glance out our Manhattan office windows, down into Bryant Park, tells us all we need to know. As soon as the plush green grass in filled with suits laid out on their backs—shoes and socks off, ties askew, dreamy dumbstruck smiles on their faces—it’s official. Spring fever has struck!
But not everyone, we know, has the luxury of whiling away these first warm, sunny days of the year catatonic in a park. So for those of you who find yourselves staring into a computer screen, we humbly offer this replacement: ADVENTURE’s Top 10 Most Beautiful Nature Videos, mini moments of zen meant to infect you with a giddy sense of peace.
A disclaimer: We won’t even attempt to label these the best of all time—there are simply too many great scenic shots out there. If you have a favorite our list missed, we’d love to see it. Post the link in our Comments section, below.
10. Flying a small plane above the islands of Bora Bora:
Spoiler alert: In our tireless search for the best nature videos, we came across an overabundance of ridiculously adorable animal footage. We were tempted to throw a few into this week’s Top 10, but there were so many, we decided they merited their own list altogether. So stay tuned for next week, when we’ll bring you the Top 10 (Cute) Animal Videos. (Seriously.) If you have a favorite of your own, send it our way (firstname.lastname@example.org), and you might see it on next week’s list.
9. And if that doesn’t suit you, try this sea of sand instead: A panoramic view with the sound of the wind at the top of the highest dunes in the Sahara, at Erg Chebbe, Morocco:
8. Lake Bled, a glacial hollow in northern Slovenia’s Julian Alps, is one of my all-time favorite places on Earth. Here’s a quick glimpse—you can even hear the bells of the Baroque Church of Assumption chiming from the island in the middle of the lake:
7. Relive your college backpacking trip with these hiking buddies’ quick shot of the summer Alps:
6. Victoria Falls, from the Zambia side:
5. Glacier National Park, Montana:
4. Thirty measly seconds of Maui isn’t nearly enough, but this quick visit to Makena Beach is better than nothin:
3. Yellowstone: There’s a reason why this awesome land became America’s first National Park. Here’s why:
2. Flying over New Zealand’s North Island:
1. A time-lapse of the snow-capped peaks and glaciers of Torres del Paine National Park in Chilean Patagonia—simply stunning:
Do you have an idea for an ADVENTURE Top Ten list? Let us know by posting it in the Comments section below.